In certain situations a statement must be attached to your return explaining the retirement distribution. You can attach this statement in the TaxAct® program and the return will still be eligible for electronic filing.
- From within your TaxAct return (Online or Desktop), click on the Federal tab. On smaller devices, click the menu icon in the upper left-hand corner, then select Federal.
- Click Retirement Plan Income to expand the category and then click Explanations and Statements
- Click whichever of the following applies in your situation (for the taxpayer or spouse, if applicable):
- Recharacterization explanation
- Return of excess traditional IRA contributions explanation
- Return of IRA contributions explanation
- Distribution of excess contributions explanation
- Change by divorce in Roth IRA basis explanation
**Please Note: The information below has not been verified for the 2017 tax year as the latest version of the IRS Form 8606 instructions has not yet been released by the IRS.**