TaxAct® will calculate the general sales tax for your state for Schedule A, Line 5.
In the Itemized Deductions section of the Federal Q&A, you can enter the name of the state and the number of days you lived in the state. TaxAct will then calculate the state general sales tax based on the optional state sales tax and local sales tax tables in the IRS Instructions for Schedule A.
To enter this information into the TaxAct program:
- From within your TaxAct return (Online or Desktop), click on the Federal tab. On smaller devices, click in the upper left-hand corner, then select Federal.
- Click Itemized or Standard Deductions to expand the category and then click Taxes paid
- Continue to the screen titled Itemized Deductions - Optional State Sales Tax and click Yes
- Click Table Amount and continue to the screen titled Itemized Deductions - Residency Information
- Select the state(s) you lived in and enter the number of days you lived in each state. Click Continue to see the general sales tax for your states.