Code Q is nontaxable combat pay. In TaxACT, this is entered in box 12 of the W-2.
To enter military wages reported on a W-2:
- From within your TaxACT return (Online or Desktop) click on the Federal Q&A tab
- Click Wages and Salaries to expand the section and then click Wage income reported on W-2
- Click Add to create a new copy of the form or click Review to review a form already created
- Click Quick Entry or Step-by-Step Guidance to enter or review. If you select Quick Entry be sure to scroll down to answer all applicable questions.
- If you select Step-by-Step Guidance, the program will proceed with the interview questions. Continue to the screen titled Wage - W-2 - Information containing fields for box 12 and box 13 entries. Select Q-Nontaxable combat pay from the drop-down menu and enter the amount reported.