If your return was rejected by the IRS because a child claimed on your return was already claimed as a dependent AND for the Earned Income Credit on someone else's return, you will need to delete this child as a dependent and delete the child from Schedule EIC Earned Income Credit
To remove a child as a dependent, please do the following:
- From within your TaxAct® return (Online or Desktop) click on the Federal tab. On smaller devices, click in the upper left-hand corner, then select Federal.
- Click Basic Information to expand the category, then click Dependents and other qualifying persons
- On the screen titled Dependents - Summary, click Delete to the right of the dependent you need to remove from your return
You may also need to delete the child from Schedule EIC:
- From within your TaxAct return (Online or Desktop) click on the Federal tab. On smaller devices, click in the upper left-hand corner, then select Federal.
- Click Other Credits to expand the category, then click Earned Income Credit
- On the screen titled Earned Income Credit - Qualifying Children click Review next to the child's name
- Select Yes to indicate that the child could be claimed by another person for earned income credit purposes
- Select the child's relationship to the other person in the drop-down box that appears, then click Continue
- To remove the child from Schedule EIC, select No, the other person will claim [the child] for the EIC