Skip to Main Content

Free federal and state filing.

For federal filers, see if you fit one of these descriptions. Free state filing is available to those living in the states listed down the page.

White dollar sign with black background

I am 20-58 years old and my adjusted gross income is less than $73,000.

Start Your Free Return

Are you 67 or older? See free-filing details.

Military medal with black background

I am active military and my adjusted gross income is less than $73,000.

Start Your Free Return

Free File

Don’t qualify for Free File? Anyone can file a federal return with TaxAct for no more than $64.95 and each state return is no more than $44.95.

Return to to see other IRS Free File Offers

File a free state return

If you qualify for a free federal return, you can also file a free state return for the following: AL, AR, CT, DC, DE, HI, IA, ID, KS, LA, ME, MS, MT, ND, NE, NH, NM, OK, RI, UT, VT, WA, WV.

Other state returns are $39.95.

See state tax forms and e-fileable IRS forms.

File a free state return

green circle with a white dollar sign inside Maximum Refund Guarantee

orange circle with a white checkmark inside 90M+ federal returns e-filed since 2000

blue circle with a white bullseye inside $100k Accuracy Guarantee

Support picture

We're here to help.

Contact Support

Phone: (319) 373-3600

Support Hours (Central time)

Monday - Friday: 8:00am - 9:00pm

Saturday & Sunday: 9:00am - 6:00pm

Extended Hours and Exceptions

Check e file

Check the e-file status of your return or track your refund after you file.

Check Status

Are you 67 or older and want to file for free?

See if you qualify below.