Importing using TaxACT Deluxe Online is a quick and easy process. Please keep these following things in mind when importing:
- TaxACT Online will allow users to import from TaxACT Online returns, TaxACT Desktop returns, and PDF files created with another software program.
Importing from TaxACT Online
Importing from TaxACT Desktop
Importing from PDF
- IMPORTANT: When you import a prior year return, any data that has already been entered in the new return will be overwritten. For example, by importing from a 2011 return to a 2012 return, the result will be a brand new 2012 return with only imported data. You must import FIRST and then enter data into the new return.
You may import data from your prior year return by one of two options.
If you have forgotten your username or password to last year's return, simply click on the link indicating "Forgot Username" or "Forgot Password".
If you no longer have access to the email address associated with your account, you may contact TaxACT Customer Service with your full name and zip code, both the old and new email addresses, last four of the primary taxpayer's SSN, and the answer to the secret question you chose when you created the account. Once we receive the correct information and can verify the account we will be more than happy to change the email address listed on the account to allow you to recover your information.
- First, sign into your 2012 TaxACT Online return HERE.
- At the import screen, click on the link to import information from the TaxACT Desktop return as shown below.
- You will be asked if you have the TaxACT Desktop 2011 ".ta1" file from last year. Click "Yes".
- If information has been entered already in your return, all previously entered data will be overwritten. If you wish to continue, agree in the pop-up. If no pop-up appears, no information has been entered yet.
- On the next screen, click on the "Browse" button to find your return file.
- In the next pop-up window, choose the return file you wish to import. 2011 TaxACT returns will be named with a ".ta1" file extension. Click the "Open" button.
- Click the "Import Last Year's Return" to complete the import process
- At the import screen, click on "Continue Without Importing".
- At the next screen, indicate that "Yes" you have a PDF copy of your 2011 tax return.
- Click "Browse".
- In the pop-up window, locate your PDF return file saved from last year's return and click "Open".
- Then click "Import Last Year's Return" to complete the import process.