Importing using TaxACT is a quick and easy process. Please keep the following things in mind when importing:
- 2013 TaxACT Deluxe, Premier, and Professional Preparer users may import a prior year return that was created with any TaxACT 2012 Desktop program. The TaxACT Deluxe or Professional Preparer programs will import using any desktop return file with a ".ta2" file extension.
- Using TaxACT Desktop and Preparer's 1040 programs, as well as TaxACT Online, you may also choose to import a PDF copy of your 1040 return created with another program. When choosing to import the PDF, you must have a PDF saved version of the actual return. It cannot be a return summary.
- IMPORTANT: When you import a prior year return, any data that has already been entered will be overwritten. For example, by importing from a 2012 return to a 2013 return, the result will be a brand new 2013 return with only the imported data. You must import FIRST and then enter data in to the new version.
Importing prior year's return using TaxACT Desktop
Example: Importing into 2012 TaxACT
- Start the current year's version of TaxACT
- Click File from the menu bar
- Click either Import TaxACT 2012 Return or Prior Year PDF Data from the drop down menu.
- Follow the on-screen instructions to complete the import of your return.
- After completing the import of your return, the Import Summary will allow you to review the information transferred to your new return.