TaxACT's state modules are not standalone applications. They require the federal software to run.
TaxACT allows you to prepare your state return, but first you need to prepare your federal return. All the data that flows to the state return originates from the federal return. The State Q&A interview section then prompts you for additional information that is specific to your state.
Depending on your state, your filing options may be limited if you have already filed your federal return (or choose to file your state return first). If you are in a "Piggy Back" state (Arkansas is the only true piggy back state), you will be required to print and mail your return if not submitting it along with the Federal return. For all other states you can electronically file by selecting State Only when going through the filing steps.
State Only Filing: To file only your state return, click on the blue Filing tab and select E-File My Return. Select the state-only return you wish to submit and then complete the filing steps.
If you do not see the option to file only your state return when going through the filing steps, please follow the instructions below:
- Click on the blue Filing tab and then click Print Return (located directly below the Life Events tab)
- Click Continue and then select Federal Only
- Continue to the screen Paper Filing - Printing Your Return and click Print Return. In the dialog box that appears, click Your Federal Return. Note: This will just bring up a PDF of the federal return - you do not need to actually print the return. (In the Desktop program, select one Federal Return Copy, and then click the Print button.)
- Click Close at the top of the screen to close the print preview. (In the Desktop program, click Cancel.)
- Click on the Filing tab again and click E-File My Return and you should now see the option to electronically file ONLY the state return.
NOTE: If you have previously submitted your state return but it has been rejected, correct the return and resubmit it. In the e-filing steps, the program may ask for your credit card information again. Enter the necessary information and continue until the return is submitted. Billing is based on the primary taxpayer's SSN, so you will not be charged again as long as the PRIMARY taxpayer's social security number DID NOT change (the primary taxpayer is the person listed first on the return). If the social security number did change because of a typographical error, please contact our Customer Service Department. Make sure to include the last 4 digits of both the correct and incorrect SSN so they can issue a refund.