Taxpayers who live outside the U.S. and Puerto Rico and whose main place of work is outside the U.S. and Puerto Rico already have an automatic 2-month filing extension. See the IRS Instructions for Form 4868
for more information.
You must attach a statement to your return explaining that you qualify for the automatic extension:
- From within your TaxACT return (Online or Desktop) click the Federal Q&A tab
- Click Miscellaneous Topics to expand the section, then click Additional Information for Electronic Filing
- Click Explanation for Automatic 2 Month Extension for Taxpayers Out of Country
- Enter an explanation that shows one of the following applies to you:
Click Continue to attach the explanation to your return
- You are living outside the United States and Puerto Rico and your main place of business or post of duty is outside the United States and Puerto Rico, or
- You are in military or naval service on duty outside the United States and Puerto Rico
Taxpayers in military service on duty outside the U.S should refer to IRS Publication 3 Armed Forces' Tax Guide for guidelines for the extension deadline.
If you qualify for the automatic 2-month extension but would like to request an additional four months by filing Form 4868, see Filing an Extension - Form 4868. To indicate that you are out of the country, check the box on the screen titled Form 4868 - Out of the Country. For this screen to appear, the date entered for Today's Date must be 4/16/2013 or later.