When it comes to income tax forms, the IRS certainly succeeds in offering a variety and long list of forms. If you're not sure which forms apply to your return, we have a few pointers to help you finish your taxes in no time!


The 1040EZ is among the shortest tax forms and is the form for taxpayers earning less than $100,000. It can be used by single and joint filers (for married couples), and by those under the age of 65 who are not legally blind and don't have dependents. Additionally, 1040EZ filers must have $1,500 or less in interest income.


A tax return form of moderate length, the 1040A features more filing status options (i.e. widow[er], head of household) than the 1040EZ and goes into more detail for exemptions. If your annual income is less than $100,000, you've received taxable income from capital gains distributions, and/or you claim deductions pertaining to student loan interest or IRA donations, then form 1040A is likely for you.


Though we'd all like to keep all things taxes as short and simple as possible, not everyone can qualify to use the above forms and may have to settle for Form 1040, which can be used by all taxpayers. Although the 1040 income tax form has earned something of an infamous reputation for being involved and difficult to understand, taxpayers earning over $100,000, self-employed and have itemized deductions are among those who need to file Form 1040.

Regardless of your 1040 income tax form, you can count on TaxACT to get you through the process in the blink of an eye. TaxACT tax software solutions include all of these forms at an affordable price!

April 2014
    1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30      

Upcoming Tax Dates

April 10 (Employees who work for tips)
If you received $20 or more in tips during March, report them to your employer - Details

April 15 (Individuals)
File a 2013 income tax return (Form 1040, 1040A, or 1040EZ) and pay any tax due - Details

April 15 (Household Employers)
If you paid cash wages of $1,800 or more in 2013 to a household employee, you must file Schedule H - Details

April 15 (Individuals)
If you are not paying your 2014 income tax through withholding (or will not pay in enough tax during the year that way), pay the first installment of your 2014 estimated tax. Use Form 1040-ES - Details

April 15 (Partnerships)
File a 2013 calendar year return (Form 1065) - Details

April 15 (Partnerships)
Electing large partnerships: File a 2013 calendar year return (Form 1065-B) - Details

April 15 (Corporations)
Deposit the first installment of estimated income tax for 2014 - Details

April 16 (Everyone)
Federal Holiday (District of Columbia Emancipation Day) - Details

View More Tax Dates