(NAPSI) — Paying for medical and dental care has become challenging for an increasing number of Americans, even for those with good health insurance coverage. Family health care premiums have increased 113 percent since 2001 according to the Kaiser Family Foundation's 2011 Employer Health Benefits Survey. The average worker contributed more than $4,100 toward employer-provided family health coverage in 2011, an amount that doesn't include out-of-pocket costs such as deductibles, co-payments, and co-insurance.

If you've spent a significant amount of money on health care, financial relief may be available in an unlikely place - as an itemized deduction on your federal income tax return.

"You can deduct unreimbursed medical and dental expenses that exceed 7.5 percent of your adjusted gross income," explains TaxACT spokesperson Jessi Dolmage. "That includes expenses paid for you, your spouse, and dependents in 2012. Even if the service was provided in 2011, you can count the expense if it was paid for in 2012."

Care includes the diagnosis, cure, mitigation, treatment, or prevention of disease, and treatments affecting any structure or function of the body. Qualified expenses paid for you, your spouse, and dependents may include:

  • Premiums paid on health insurance for medical care and long-term care insurance policies covering qualified long-term care services.
  • Fees to doctors, dentists, surgeons, chiropractors, psychiatrists, psychologists, and nontraditional medical practitioners.
  • Inpatient hospital care or nursing home services.
  • Drugs that require a prescription and insulin.
  • Smoking-cessation programs and prescription drugs to alleviate nicotine withdrawal.
  • Weight-loss program for specific disease(s), including obesity, diagnosed by a physician but not ordinarily, payments for diet food items, or the payment of health club dues.
  • Acupuncture treatments or inpatient treatment at a center for alcohol or drug addiction.
  • Admission and transportation to a medical conference about a chronic disease (costs must be primarily for and essential to medical care).
  • Lactation supplies.
  • False teeth, reading or prescription eyeglasses or contact lenses, hearing aids, crutches, wheelchairs, and for guide dogs for the blind or deaf.
  • Transportation costs primarily for and essential to medical care such as fare for a taxi, bus, train, or ambulance. If you using your personal car, you can deduct either your out-of-pocket expenses for gas and oil or the standard medical mileage rate of 23 cents per mile.

When preparing your 2012 income tax return (due in April 2013), you'll figure your deduction on Schedule A. "Solutions like TaxACT make claiming medical and dental deductions on your tax return easy," said Dolmage. "The program helps you determine which health care expenses qualify and then calculates your deduction and fills out Schedule A for you."

Between now and tax time, keep documentation of expenses organized. "Save receipts, keep detailed notes, and save all information in one place," says Dolmage. "That'll save time when you do your taxes, and you'll have all the information you'll need to substantiate your expenses in the unlikely event of an audit."

Starting in 2013, the adjusted gross income threshold for deductible medical and dental expenses increases to 10 percent.

Learn more about deductible medical and dental expenses in IRS Publication 502 at www.irs.gov.

TaxACT Free Federal Edition provides step-by-step guidance through deductible health care expenses and other complex tax situations. Do your federal tax return for free and get unlimited free email help at taxact.com.

April 2014
    1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30      

Upcoming Tax Dates

April 10 (Employees who work for tips)
If you received $20 or more in tips during March, report them to your employer - Details

April 15 (Individuals)
File a 2013 income tax return (Form 1040, 1040A, or 1040EZ) and pay any tax due - Details

April 15 (Household Employers)
If you paid cash wages of $1,800 or more in 2013 to a household employee, you must file Schedule H - Details

April 15 (Individuals)
If you are not paying your 2014 income tax through withholding (or will not pay in enough tax during the year that way), pay the first installment of your 2014 estimated tax. Use Form 1040-ES - Details

April 15 (Partnerships)
File a 2013 calendar year return (Form 1065) - Details

April 15 (Partnerships)
Electing large partnerships: File a 2013 calendar year return (Form 1065-B) - Details

April 15 (Corporations)
Deposit the first installment of estimated income tax for 2014 - Details

April 16 (Everyone)
Federal Holiday (District of Columbia Emancipation Day) - Details

View More Tax Dates