IRS Tax Tips
January 2, 2007 – IRS Tax Tip 2007-01
Seven Ways to Get a Jump Start on Your Taxes
Earlier is better when it comes to working on your taxes. Taxpayers are encouraged to get a head start on tax preparation, especially since early filers avoid the last minute rush and get their refunds sooner.
Here are seven easy ways to get a good jump on your taxes long before the April deadline is here:
- Gather your records in advance. Make sure you have all the records you need, including W-2s and 1099s. Don’t forget to save a copy for your files.
- Get the right forms. They’re available around the clock on the IRS Web site, IRS.gov.
- Take your time. Don’t forget to leave room for a coffee break when filling out your tax return as rushing can mean making a mistake.
- Double-check your math and verify all Social Security numbers. These are among the most common errors found on tax returns. Taking care will reduce your chance of hearing from the IRS and speed up your refund.
- Get the fastest refund. When you file early, you receive your refund faster. When you choose direct deposit, you receive your refund sooner than waiting for a check.
- E-filing is easy. E-filing catches math problems, provides confirmation your return has been received and gives you a faster refund.
- Don’t panic. If you have a problem or a question, remember the IRS is there to help. Try the IRS Web site at IRS.gov or call the IRS customer service number at 1-800-829-1040.