IRS Tax Tips
February 23, 2006 – AT-2006-38
IRS Toll-Free Help
Free tax help from the IRS is just a phone call away. The IRS provides various services through its toll-free telephone numbers. Some of these services are available 24 hours a day.
- Ask questions about your tax return. You can call the IRS Tax Help Line for Individuals customer service line, 1-800-829-1040, to get answers to your federal tax questions.
- Order forms and publications. Call 1-800-TAX-FORM (1-800-829-3676). Copies of forms, publications and other helpful information are also available around-the-clock at the IRS Web site at www.irs.gov.
- Check the status of your refund. Call the Refund Hotline at 1-800-829-1954. You will need to know your filing status and the exact whole-dollar amount of your expected refund. TeleTax, the automated refund line, at 1-800-829-4477 is available around the clock and will also let you check the status of your income tax refund. Automated refund information is generally available four to five weeks after you have filed your tax return. You can also check the status of your refund at IRS.gov by clicking on Where's My Refund? This service is available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.
- Recorded tax information: The TeleTax line at 1-800-829-4477 has recorded messages covering more than 100 tax topics. Topics include items such as Who Must File?, Highlights of Tax Changes, Education Credits, Individual Retirement Accounts, Earned Income Tax Credit, What to Do if You Can't Pay Your Tax and more.
- Hearing-impaired individuals with access to TTY/TDD equipment. Call 1-800-829-4059 to ask questions or to order forms and publications. This number is answered only by TTY/TDD equipment.
The IRS Tax Help Line, Refund Hotline, and the TTY/TDD numbers are available from 7:00 a.m. to 10:00 p.m. (local time) on weekdays. Alaska and Hawaii will follow Pacific Time.
The services offered on the IRS toll-free lines are also available 24 hours a day 7 days a week on the Internet at IRS.gov.