Three Reasons to Prepare and File Your Taxes Electronically
January 12, 2010 – Special Edition TT-2010-07
Last year, 2 out of 3 tax returns were filed electronically. Was yours? If not, here are three important reasons to e-file your return.
- It's fast. Your tax return will get processed more quickly if you use e-file. If there is an error on your return, it will typically be identified and can be corrected right away. If you file electronically and choose to have your tax refund deposited directly into your bank account, you will have your money in as few as 10 days.
- It's safe. The IRS is fully committed to protecting your tax information and e-filed returns are protected by the latest technology. In 20 years, nearly 800 million e-filed returns have been processed safely and securely by the IRS.
- It's time. Don't miss out on the benefits of e-file, 2 out of 3 taxpayers, 95 million, already get the benefits of e-file.
E-file software reduces the chance of making errors when you prepare your return. However, some people still print the computer generated return and mail it to the IRS instead of hitting the "Send" button. By mailing the return, taxpayers miss out on some important benefits of IRS e-file.
- With e-file, you get the peace of mind that comes with the electronic receipt you'll receive notifying you that the IRS received your tax return.
- E-file is available 24 hours a day, seven days a week, from the convenience of your own home.
- If you owe money to the IRS, e-file also allows you to file your tax return early and delay payment up until the due date.
- In 37 states and the District of Columbia, you can simultaneously e-file your federal and state tax returns.
Everyone can e-file their federal return free with TaxACT Free Edition and TaxACT Deluxe. By e-filing with direct deposit, you can have your federal refund in as few as 8 days. Start your federal TaxACT return now and e-file free!