It's How We Act
A True David and Goliath Story
TaxACT was created from the ashes of a product called Personal Tax Edge marketed by Parsons Technology. In 1994, Intuit, the makers of TurboTax, acquired Parsons Technology and Personal Tax Edge, their next closest competitor. By 1997, Personal Tax Edge was gone, but the discontinuation of Personal Tax Edge led the founders of 2nd Story Software® (all of whom had worked on the Personal Tax Edge product and had significant accounting, marketing, and software development experience) to create TaxACT. Starting with a simple goal to provide high quality tax preparation software to taxpayers at an affordable price, TaxACT launched in 1998.
In less than a decade, 2nd Story Software claimed its place amongst the Goliaths of the industry, the second most visited online destination for tax preparation services for the last seven consecutive tax years.1 Since 2000, TaxACT Online has assisted with more than 38 million e-filed Federal returns.
TaxACT is the only Web-based tax planning and preparation product to offer a year-round tax preparation solution (Preview versions are released each October, with Final versions released in January).
It's How We Act
TaxACT was the first to offer free federal tax software and free e-file to all American taxpayers in the 2005 tax season. Since then, other brands have introduced free solutions with limited forms for simple returns and a watered down user experience. TaxACT is the only free solution with all e-fileable IRS forms and comprehensive guidance for simple and complex returns.
As such, TaxACT has launched a bold marketing campaign to increase brand awareness in a crowded market with high spending competitors and a short sales window. The campaign formalizes the principles our company was founded upon and the customer-centric ethos guiding our everyday business.
How we ACT is a measure of who we are as individuals, as a community and as a company. We've chosen five powerful words describing the values that our company and customers share to create the TaxACT Code.
You'll see the TaxACT Code at work on www.taxact.com, in our TV and radio commercials, in online advertising creatives, in the recently launched Student Loan Relief Giveaway on TaxACT's Facebook page, and across the new TaxNEWS blog. It's how we ACT.
The TaxACT Code
- Integrity. Free truly means free when it comes to federal tax preparation and filing. We act with transparency - no hidden fees, no gimmicks. We take the high road, treating customers honestly and fairly. If we happen to make a mistake, we'll make it right.
- Simplicity. We make doing taxes anywhere, anytime fast and easy. TaxACT's tools and clear guidance help taxpayers easily, confidently and successfully file their own taxes.
- Value. All taxpayers can prepare, print and e-file federal tax returns totally free with TaxACT Free Federal Edition. No restrictions. It's the only free solution with all e-fileable forms for simple and complex returns. Paid federal and state solutions are affordable and provide extra-value features and services at less than half the cost of other brands.
- Assurance. Returns are backed by accuracy, maximum refund and satisfaction guarantees so customers can file with total peace of mind. Personalized help is always free and just a click or email away.
- Responsibility. We support initiatives throughout the year to better our communities, states and country.
1 According to collective week end reports for taxact.com and taxactonline.com released by Hitwise™ during the 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010 and 2011 tax seasons.