Don't wait for the outcome of pending legislation to do year-end tax planning and start a 2010 return.
Cedar Rapids, IA – October 4, 2010 – 2nd Story Software® released preview versions of TaxACT® 2010 Free Federal and Deluxe Editions today.
TaxACT preview versions provide year-end tax guidance and allow users to get an early start on next year's return. The interview notifies users when part of their return is contingent on the outcome of tax legislation, allowing them to enter data or skip the question. TaxACT will estimate 2010 federal and state taxes based on the information users enter or import. The estimates can then be used to help make year-end adjustments to minimize their tax bill.
"We may see fairly significant changes to tax law over the next few months, but this has happened before," reminds Lance Dunn, CPA and President of 2nd Story Software. "Our software updates as laws change. The bottom line is that at filing time, TaxACT guarantees accurate calculations and the biggest possible refund."
New features and enhancements in TaxACT 2010 were designed with a specific goal. "We want the TaxACT experience to exceed users' expectations, whether they're doing their own taxes for the first time, are new to TaxACT or have used TaxACT for the last 12 years," explained Dunn.
TaxACT 2010 Free Edition still allows everyone to prepare, print and e-file a federal return free, but this year it's even easier. The updated and easier-to-use interface has more navigation options and easier access to key information. The 2010 Free Edition also features:
- All e-fileable forms to cover every situation, including itemized deductions and income from rental, business and investments.
- A new Answer Center that provides personalized tax and program help.
- New bookmarks that allow users to add notes and easily return to interview questions later.
- Free tax help via e-mail.
- Import of 2009 return data from PDFs prepared by certain software solutions.
- Free e-file for a refund in as few as 8 days with direct deposit.
- Risk-free use with maximum refund, accuracy and satisfaction guarantees.
- Quick entry tools, including a new option for asset depreciation data.
- New tax term glossary with linked terms throughout the interview.
TaxACT Deluxe has additional features for returning TaxACT customers as well as for those who need extra tax tools and help, including:
- Import of TaxACT 2009 return data.
- Easier-to-use Donation Assistant® that provides certified resale values for more than 1,300 items and keeps track of your deduction.
- As users complete the interview, the new Life Events Tips provide important information about life changes.
- Unlimited phone help for customers who order or register online for TaxACT Deluxe or Ultimate Bundle (Deluxe + State) by December 31, 2010 – a $7.95 value.
- Fast, as-you-go access to PDF copies of tax forms.
- Enhanced import of investment data.
- Maximum refund, accuracy, price lock (TaxACT Online) and satisfaction (desktop products) guarantees.
Regardless of tax law changes or which TaxACT product is used, TaxACT 2010 makes do-it-yourself tax planning, preparation and filing easier than ever.
- TaxACT Free Federal Edition – FREE to Prepare, FREE to Print, FREE to E-file™ – for Everyone. Includes all e-fileable forms for simple and complex returns, a free e-file, Answer Center with unlimited e-mail and Web help, Maximum Refund Pledge, PDF Import of 2009 return data from other software providers, Accuracy Guarantee, new Bookmarks, Stock Assistant, Audit Assistant, a document with all tax data for the FAFSA and more.
- TaxACT Deluxe ($9.95 Online or $12.95 download) – Recommended for TaxACT 2009 users and those seeking extra tax tools and help. Includes everything in Free Federal Edition, as well as TaxACT 2009 data return import, enhanced Donation Assistant with audit-backed values for more than 1,300 commonly donated items, TaxACT TaxTutor™ with expert guidance from J.K. Lasser, enhanced Stock Import, unlimited Life Events and tips, PDF forms preview, Tax Calculator for performing what-if tax scenarios and more. TaxACT Online payment not required until user prints, e-files or views PDFs of forms.
- TaxACT State ($14.95 Online or download) – Information from TaxACT Free Edition or Deluxe seamlessly transfers to state forms so that users can complete their state return in minutes. TaxACT Online State includes a free e-file, and download users can e-file for just $7.95. State Editions are released as state forms become available, starting in January. TaxACT Online payment not required until user prints, e-files or views PDFs of forms.
- TaxACT Ultimate Bundle – Deluxe + State ($17.95 Online or $19.95 download) – Best value for federal and state returns with more than 25% in savings. Online users receive a free federal and state e-file. Download users receive a free federal e-file and can e-file their state return for just $7.95. Download users can also e-file up to four more federal returns for just $7.95 each. TaxACT Online payment not required until user prints, e-files or views PDFs of forms.