TaxACT Press Release - January 7, 2010
TaxACT 2009 raises the bar higher on free and affordable tax preparation solutions
New features and more forms make TaxACT 2009 products ideal - for everyone.
Cedar Rapids, IA - January 7, 2010 - Given the number of tax law changes and a still-recovering economy, a quality and affordable tax preparation solution is more valuable than ever. TaxACT has answered the call with a wide range of new features and enhancements for 2009 products.
2nd Story Software released final versions of TaxACT 2009 federal and state products today. Preview versions of TaxACT federal products were released in October, allowing users to start their IRS return early and see how new tax laws would affect their bottom line.
The final version of TaxACT Free Federal Edition includes all e-fileable forms, allowing every taxpayer - regardless of whether they itemize, have business, stock, or rental income, or need to report depreciation or capital gains - to prepare, print and e-file a federal return for free. TaxACT Deluxe also includes all e-fileable forms.
Starting a 2009 return is now easier and faster for new and returning TaxACT users. New users can import key data from PDF copies of 2008 federal returns prepared by many software solutions1. Returning TaxACT users can import last year's tax data into the Deluxe version, eliminating time and data entry error.
Time-saving features have been added for taxpayers with investments. TaxACT Stock Assistant, included in both Free Edition and Deluxe, makes entering and reviewing investment information faster and easier. Deluxe users can also import stock transaction information from a CSV file.
All users will enjoy streamlined navigation resulting in fewer clicks and have a new option to enter data directly into some forms, including quick entry for W-2 and 1099 forms.
A step-by-step Q&A interview guides users through 2009 tax law changes, helping uncover all credits and deductions. TaxACT Examiners and Alerts identify potential errors and missing information. TaxACT's Maximum Refund Pledge and Accuracy Guarantee back the results.
If users need help along the way, they can e-mail TaxACT TaxPayer Support™ for free assistance, search the enhanced Online Help Center or watch video tutorials. Even after users file, TaxACT offers unlimited e-mail help and audit assistance.
In keeping with its commitment to affordability, TaxACT has introduced the Price Lock Guarantee for Online users. TaxACT Online Deluxe, State and Ultimate Bundle users are guaranteed the price advertised in the offer through which they registered - regardless of when they print or e-file their return. TaxACT Online Deluxe, State and Bundle users also have the option of paying for their TaxACT product by deducting the amount from their refund.
TaxACT users who e-file with direct deposit can have their federal refund in as few as eight days. Users can still receive their refund on a pre-paid debit card, TaxACT Endeavor Card™, but new this year, they can also choose to use all or part of their refund to purchase U.S. Savings Bonds in increments of $50.
All TaxACT products remain risk-free and without restrictions. All taxpayers, regardless of income or age, can prepare, print and e-file for free with TaxACT Free Federal Edition. To ensure customer satisfaction, Online users of paid products aren't required to pay until they print or e-file. Download customers are guaranteed their money back if they're not satisfied within 30 days of purchase.
More information about TaxACT products, features and guarantees can be found at www.taxact.com.
TaxACT product summary
- TaxACT Free Federal Edition (formerly TaxACT Standard) - FREE to Prepare, FREE to Print, FREE to E-file™ - for Everyone. Includes all e-fileable forms for simple and complex returns, free e-file, unlimited e-mail help, Maximum Refund Pledge, Competitor PDF Import, Accuracy Guarantee, Stock Assistant, Audit Assistant, a document with all tax data for the FAFSA and more.
- TaxACT Deluxe ($9.95 Online or $12.95 download) - Recommended for TaxACT 2008 users and those seeking extra tax tools and phone help. Includes everything in Free Federal Edition, as well as data import of last year's TaxACT return, enhanced Donation Assistant® with audit-backed values for more than 700 commonly donated items, TaxACT TaxTutor™ expert guidance from J.K. Lasser, new Stock Import, unlimited Life Events, W-2 import for select employers, Tax Calculator for performing what-if tax scenarios and more.
- TaxACT State ($14.95 Online or download) - Information from TaxACT Free Edition or Deluxe is transferred seamlessly to TaxACT State so that users can complete a state return in minutes. TaxACT Online State includes a free e-file, and download users can e-file for just $7.95.
- TaxACT Ultimate Bundle - Deluxe + State ($17.95 Online or $19.95 download) - Best value for federal and state returns with a more than 25% savings. Online users receive a free federal and state e-file. Download users receive a free federal e-file and can e-file their state return for just $7.95. Download users can also e-file up to four more federal returns for just $7.95 each.
About 2nd Story Software and TaxACT
2nd Story Software, the makers of TaxACT, is a privately held company founded in 1998 and critically acclaimed as a leader in developing affordable tax preparation software and Web-based services directly for consumers. TaxACTOnline.com is the 2nd most visited online destination for tax preparation services.2
TaxACT provides users with well-informed tax strategies in an easy-to-use format, while maintaining focus on providing the best value. TaxACT is the only Web-based tax planning and preparation solution to offer a year-round solution, releasing preview versions of its federal software in October and final versions in January.
In addition to individual tax preparation software, TaxACT offers professional and business federal and state software. More information about all products is available at www.taxact.com.
- TaxACT can import tax data from PDF files prepared by the following software solutions: TurboTax®, TaxCut®, TaxSlayer, CompleteTax®, ezTax, FreeTaxUSA™, eSmart® Tax, On-Line Taxes, TaxBrain.com®, ATX™, Lacerte®, ProSeries® and NTS TaxVision.
- According to collective week end reports released by Hitwise™ during the 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 tax seasons.
* Prices listed reflect those at time of release and are subject to change.